Sunday, August 29, 2010

Think You Had a Bad Hair Day?

I finally got around to updating a new post - as Ashlyn would say..... "I did it....yay!"
I got a new camera last week as an early birthday present so I'll have more to post about from here on out. I'm still getting used to how it works and the best settings, so some of these photos are a bit experimental.

What have we been up to? Well, it has certainly been busy though it doesn't seem that we have a lot to show for it. We're surviving another wickedly hot Arizona summer. Went to Show Low to cool off for the 24th of July weekend. They have a Pioneer Day celebration in Snowflake (a Mormon settlement) so we planned on going to all the festivities there. Didn't make it to the parade & park, but we did go the the rodeo that night which was a lot of fun. Ashlyn just loves looking for cows & sure got her fix. We were so excited to see fireworks & thought she would like them too. By the time they were starting and the rodeo was over, Ashlyn just kept saying "I done, I done...". We tried to finish watching them from the car, and we made it just in time to see the grand finale. We turned back to look at Ash & she was already passed out in the back seat. She was right, she was done! Oh well, we did go to a fun steakhouse while we were there & Ash got to brush up on her "riding" skills...
Derek's keeping busy and doing well with work. He was the top salesman again last month - so yay for that! Since getting new clubs, he's been golfing a lot more the last few months. I'm happy for him to get out & do something he enjoys, I'm also happy that it's pretty affordable during the summer months 'cause anyone wanting to get out in this heat is crazy and deserves a break.

I cut my hair - just to shoulder length, but it was a big deal for me. As a young girl I'd dream of having long, beautiful locks. My hair just didn't grow quickly at all, so now that I do finally have hair, it was nerve wracking to cut it off even though it looks better & healthier. This lack of length is a trait that my daughter has obviously inherited. Her hair's finally at the point that I have to do something with it each day, so I attempt to. Sometimes it works, but mostly it accounts for a lot of bad hair days when she won't keep it in...

Ashlyn is such a little girl now. I love it and hate it at the same time! She has play dates with her little friends, she loves playing with baby dolls, she picks out her clothes, likes to brush her own teeth. "Me do it" is a common phrase heard around this house.
She counts to 10, sometimes 20. "One, Two, Ree, Fo, Six, Seve, Eigh, Ni, Ten!" Yes, five is often left out. She knows the alphabet - or at least the sounds of the letters (thanks to LeapFrog's Letter Factory). She's learning colors. She'll tell you that her favorite color is Pink, and her immediate answer to most things is "Blue", but she eventually gets it. She's talking more and more each day, completely absorbing her environment, Loves to sing and shushes me when I try to join her in a duet. At least she's pretty darn good at sharing. Everything is "Yours" and "Mine" as she divides up toys, food, etc... Oh, she's also a good little dancer and likes to show off her skills whenever there's music.

She's growing up so much, as a matter of fact, that she's started disciplinary action of her own.
Last week we were all sitting in the living room. Ashlyn suddenly threw her doll down, gave it a dirty look, picked it back up saying "No, no, no". Then she took it over to the corner and stated "Mime Ou". Derek and I were laughing hysterically. We asked her what baby did to get in time out. She said "Push". Before we knew it, all of her baby dolls were sitting in the time out corner. That's right.... my kid knows the rules!
Heather and Jared were in town for about a week. I use the term in town loosely since they were on the northwest side of Phoenix and we live on the southeast - over an hour apart. He had some training workshops to attend & she came along for the ride. They came over for dinner & to hang out one night, and we all went to a Diamondbacks baseball game another night. I'm so glad we got to visit. It was good to see them enjoy a little vacation time together.
What else has been going on? Ashlyn was carrying around this stuffed Noah's arch and calling it her purse.
She was so excited when I went through my old bags and found this one that's just her size. She brings it with her to church now.
The baby dolls are doing better at potty training than Ashlyn is. We went to the dollar store last week and she got to pick out some potty prizes. She's went once when she was supposed to and I tried to make a really excited, big deal out of it. We were driving in the car yesterday when she so proudly said "I did it!". I asked what and she pointed. I said, "Did you go pee pee?" She said, "Yah...Yay!" and clapped her hands. Still not quite there yet.
I completely forgot to take the before photo, but I re-finished the kitchen table & chairs. It all used to be a lighter oak finish. Because I got a wood finish with polyurethane and didn't exercise patience in between coats, my amateur workmanship definitely shows when you look close up. But none of you are here to see it, so just judging by the picture, didn't it turn out great? (tee, hee) The piano is no longer in the house. I was so excited when we got it last year, but I certainly haven't taken much advantage of having it around. It's been such an eyesore for Derek that I found another family in our ward that will hopefully get much more use out of it. I donated it with the full understanding that we will be able to replace it at some point in the future.
We've been wandering the malls, pet stores, and playgrounds a lot. Anything to keep cool & out of trouble. Ashlyn calls every kid she meets or hears her "Pend" Translation: "Friend". It's so sweet - she tries running after kids and following them around thinking everyone should love her as much as she loves them. This kid needs to not be an only child! We're working on it, but having a more difficult time this go round. I'll be starting on some medication soon that will hopefully help & maybe we'll be able to have some good news in the future. I know grandma's keep asking!
Speaking of trouble.... Mommy was not happy to find her foundation completely empty and all over miss Ashlyn's hands and this poor doll. Most of it came out, but there are still stains as a reminder of this fateful night.
We've both just been feeling exhausted & not quite right for a while now so we're taking advantage of our medical benefits. Derek was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr Virus a couple weeks ago which causes Mono & other symptoms.
According to the doctor, it can last 1-6 months so hopefully we're on the down side. I'm waiting for my blood tests to come back this week. It's just been tough not knowing how you're going to wake up feeling for the day, or if fully functioning is even an option. Luckily, Derek is able to set his own pace & hours out on the road - so that is helping a ton right now & it's great that he has an understanding boss. Man - who is this old fart talking about medical benefits, creaking bodies, & repeated doctor appointments?
I also want to wish my sister the best as she recovers from her back surgery. Two and a half years after the accident, she's had to have both rods in her back replaced. It kills me not being around to help out. I miss & love her so much & want her to know that she's in the prayers of many.
Here's to Health & Happiness for All!!!

3 comments:

farnsworthfamily said...

i love you more than you will ever know. i was crying through the whole thing. i miss you guys so so much its so hard to see pictures and not be able to give you hugs. thank you for always being there and thinking of me i love you more than life itself. no one could ask for a better sister, friend and the greatest listener of all time. THANKS I LOVE YOU!

The Cox Family said...

always fun to read your updates. ashylnn has really grown up. So glad you guys had a great summer Shirlyn

Hayley said...

She is so cute, what a beautiful family!!!